This information has been updated with many thanks to Miles Harrison, who has recently published a new book "Exeter and West Country silver 1700-1900". This is an extremely comprehensive book and can be bought directly from Miles - simply click HERE
Francis Trowbridge II first worked with William Ashford, starting some time before 1784. On 22nd January 1784 their partnership was disolved and Francis Trowbridge continued on his own. The assay register does record 6 pairs of tongs sent in by Francis Trowbridge on 13th November 1783 and another 7 pairs on 6th December. This is before their partnership had been formally disolved. Prior to this there are many entries under the names Ashford, Ashford & Co., Trowbridge & Ashford, Ashford & Trowbridge and Trowbridge & Co. The last known entry for assay of a pair of sugar tongs was on 18th January 1798. In total Francis Trowbridge had 347 pairs of tongs assayed, the bulk (some 294) were assayed in 1794/95.
Click on a picture to see more details