Christian ker Reid & David Reid went into partnership in February 1818 but assays were made in Christianís name until 27th September 1819. At that time, his son David was given 40% of the profits and the remaining 60% went to the father. At that time they started using the mark CR DR, although this mark had been registered in London as early as 1815. The father died in 1834 by which time a third son had been registered into the partnership (Christian Bruce Reid) & we see the mark CR DR CR. These tongs are standard fiddle pattern tongs, unusual in that the makerís mark is struck twice, one of which is struck on top of the hallmark. This is odd because the makerís mark is generally struck before the item is sent for hallmarking. The tongs are dated 1820.

Click on any picture to enlarge